Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Milestones

So we've been hitting milestones around here lately. Andrew has rolled over, front to back and back to front, started eating rice cereal and is going to sleep rather easily at night. BUT! the big news is. . . . . .

NO MORE DIAPERS FOR ALISON!!!

I didn't understand how big of a deal this was until we were faced with it. Potty training isn't just something the kid needs to be ready for - the parent needs to be ready, geared up and prepared for it. I was given the potty training in less than a day book by a friend and I decided Monday would be the day.

I spent all last week talking about her elmo panties and saying good bye to diapers and using the toilet. And then Sunday night I put on her last diaper, we said bye bye to rest of the package and she picked out her byebye diaper book for me to read to her that night.

Monday morning came and we got down to it. For 5 hours it was nothing but:
"are your panties dry?"
"let's go sit on the toilet?"
"Hurry hurry so you don't have an accident!"
"here's some more juice/milk/water"
"good job! here's an M&M"
"daddy/grandma/grandpa/elmo/mommy/annie,leo,june,qunicy will be so proud of you!"

I was beat by lunch. But with just two accidents (one of them being right in front of the toilet) she was good to go. She knows when she needs to go and goes. She made it through her nap yesterday. AND through the night last night! And no accidents today even. I'm amazed and convinced she is a potty genius. Whatever - that book was the key! (Thanks, Karen!) Our next step will be conquering the fear of public toilets. I think she gets that from me.....

Last night she was exclaiming, "I'm so happy! I have hello kitty doll on my panties! I'm so happy! I use the potty!" She looks cute in her undies too - I didn't snap a picture - but maybe I will tomorrow. Would that be 'inappropriate content'?

6 comments:

buttercup said...

Yeah Alison! You are so right that the parent has to be ready for this stage too. It is an exciting time. It means a little more independence for both of you!

Kass said...

The potty training milestone is definitely one of my favorites as a mom. It has so many pros! Way to go Alison.

Debbie said...

oh that's the best feeling to have only one in diapers, I remember that with Pierce and Nicolette. Wasn't the case with twins though, but when they were potty trained and I knew no more diapers ever...sad at first knowing my babies were growing up, but always a great milestone.

allyn said...

not having to change diapers is never a sad thing. nice try, debbie.
alison is a prodigy for sure. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Nora Mair said...

The Walmart and Target toilets are terrifying, they flush automatically! I always have to go and cover the sensor....eye roll. Way to go though--the mom really has to be ready.

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You may not fully appreciate how easy this was for you until you have one that actually gives you some trouble over it! Potty training can be such a nightmare. So glad to hear it was a pretty simple transition for Alison.